Friday 6 March 2015

The DofE

Hey guys, 

This post is going to have to be quite a quick one because I have so much to do, and so little time to do it in! 

As I mentioned last week, I'm doing the expedition section of my Duke of Edinburgh's award this weekend (hence why this post is going up tonight instead of tomorrow like usual). I thought I'd explain a little more about it and what I have to do!

So, tomorrow morning, I have to get up, grab my bag and head out into the wilderness! I'm joking of course! I just have to go about 30 minutes away from my house and there's a training center where I will be until Sunday morning. As soon as we get there we have to put up our tents and then walk for the day, learning how to navigate and stay on the right path! On Saturday evening we have to cook our dinner on the little portable stove we have and then try to keep warm! Then when we wake up we have to have our breakfast, pack everything down and walk to the pick up point which I think is about 10 miles, but I may be wrong. 

This whole experience is to go towards completing the bronze section of my award. So far, I've completed the physical, skills and volunteering sections (for 6, 3 and 3 months in turn) but the expedition is definitely the thing that excites (and scares) me the most! The other sections required me to complete a certain length of time but for the expedition we have to be split into a group and then, while we're walking we have to research an end goal. Then we have to present it in some way, whether it is in book or presentation form. 

I have to have a lot of kit, including; some of the parts of a tent, a sleeping bag, food enough for both days, waterproof clothing and a few other things that all have to fit inside the 60/65L bag I have (which is massive by the way). It is very heavy but I'm pretty sure I can deal with it, I think it weighs about the same as a small child! I'm really looking forward to it, which is weird because I didn't enjoy when I went camping in the summer! I think it must be because I'm in a group with 5 other girls that I'm good friends with, so I think it's going to be fun.

At first I was a little hesitant about starting my DofE but now I'm so glad I did! Not only does it add to the CV I'll use to try and either get into university or get a job, but it has helped me start, and do, new things! I'd really recommend it to anyone thinking of starting!


Wish me luck!
Until next time - that is, if I make it back! (which I'm sure I will!) ;)
Grace
X

No comments:

Post a Comment