Saturday 21 February 2015

Water Marbled Jars

Hey guys!

Wow! This week has been absolutely amazing! As I mentioned last week, I was in Berlin from Monday to Thursday and it was brilliant! Apart from the painful feet after walking over 40 miles! I haven't had time to download my pictures yet so my post about it is going to be next week instead. So, for this week's post I decided to try something new, water marbled jars. I've seen people do this with plant pots and I've done my own marbled nails before but never really tried a jar.




You will need; a few nail polishes in any colours you like, as you can see I had quite a few in the blue/green ranges. Some types of nail polish don't spread out very well so are not the best to use, it's a good idea to test them out beforehand so you know which ones to use. You will also need an old bowl or bucket that you don't mind getting nail polish on, a toothpick to create a pattern and a clean and dry jar. You will probably also want some paper towel nearby just incase there are any spills or you want to clean the toothpick.



To start with you need to fill your bowl with water that is room temperature as I've found that it works the best.  You should open the bottles of nail polish before you start as you have to work fast so the polish on the water doesn't dry before you create a pattern.



To drop the paint you need to either gently touch the water surface with the brush or drop the polish from about a centimeter above it. This should cause the polish to spread out into a big circle, it will be quite pale so if you want to darken the colour a little, you can add a few more drops. You can then drop the other colours on top to create circles inside each other.



Once you have added the amount of colours you want, you can then drag the toothpick through the center to create a pattern of your choice.



Then, drip the jar into the water, over the pattern so that it sticks to the glass.



Well, this is what's supposed to happen! I really don't like what my jar looks like because I couldn't get the polish circles to spread out on the surface, even though I tried several times! If you have this issue, you can clear the polish off the jar  with some nail polish remover so you can use it again for something else or try a new one!



I'm not sure this idea really worked all that well but I'm sure it will work better for you guys! I hope you have a lovely weekend!


Until next time
Grace
X

No comments:

Post a Comment