Saturday 25 April 2015

1 YEAR ON!

Hey guys!

So today is pretty special for me, it just so happens to be exactly a year since I started writing this blog! Last February I began to think about whether I could write something that people would want to read, and two months later I took the plunge and wrote my very first post! I've come a long way since that first 'hey there' in my 'welcome' post and at first I didn't even tell my family, it was just my own little space where, if I messed up, it wouldn't matter but now a few more know about it! (I know you're reading so, Hi!) It's been such an amazing time and I've loved finding new things to write about each week, I really can't wait to blog some more awesome things!

I figured I should make this post pretty special so it's another DIY one. I spotted this idea on Wantfeed yesterday (if you follow me on twitter, this is what my tweet was about) and they're these cute little candle holder jars from Etsy. I was pretty sure I could make a pretty good replica (whether it would work or not was another matter!) of them so decided to give it a shot, here's how if you want to make some too! I think they would look so cute on a shelf or to give to someone as a gift! It doesn't even have to be a candle holder, it could be used to hold make-up brushes, pencils or even a plant! There's a whole world of possibilities!


First, you will need; jars, these can be any size, shape and colour you want, you could even make some bigger and some smaller ones for decorations! 


You'll also need; PVA glue, some string, beads (my ones are old glass ones I found in a bead box we have) and an extract from a book. 


If you want to use an actual page then I suggest buying an old book from a pound shop or charity shop (don't just go cutting extracts from your favourite reads!) but you could also print a paragraph off the internet to make it easier. (The book I'm using is 'From the Thorenson Dykes' by Sam Mcbratney that I got from a charity book shop a few months ago. I'm also going to use it for a few other ideas so it's completely worth the 50p I paid!) A paintbrush or glue spreader will also come in handy when putting the glue on the book page and a tealight finishes the overall look of the candle holder.




To start off, you will need to cut the extract to the right size for the jar, There should be bands along both the top and bottom of the paper that are the same width (a.k.a it should be in the middle). I chose a paragraph that was very full and filled the whole bit of paper because I felt it gave a better appearance. 


Cover the back of the page with the PVA and spread it across. To get mine to stick properly, I rolled the jar along the paper but make sure, if you do this, then you line it up properly as the first time I tried it, it came out wonky! 


Whilst this is drying, you can cut the string into two lengths, one marginally shorter than the other but both long enough to tie around the top of the jar. Then thread the beads onto each end and tie a small know to hold them on. This decoration can then be tied around the top of the jar to complete the look. 


If you're using it as a candle holder then the light should shine through the paper to create a soft orange glow (mine didn't work that well as it was only a battery LED tealight!

Jars seem to be in a lot of my blog posts, I hope you aren't tired of seeing them! Have a wonderful weekend and week, and I will see you again next Saturday for my next post!

Until next time!
Grace
X

No comments:

Post a Comment