Saturday 17 October 2015

Painted Vase

Hey guys,

I promised a DIY post last week and here it is, and on time for once! This week feels like it's gone so quickly, I can't believe it's the weekend already! I must have missed a few days or something!

Today's post is painted vases. This was an idea I saw a post on Pinterest about, although, I think they did it with wine bottles instead. Painting the inside just livens up the piece a little and makes it different to any others.


Mine hasn't actually come out exactly as I wanted it to. I mixed the paint with PVA glue to try and make it go further and spread more evenly but that seems to have added a lot of tiny air bubbles which I don't like! The top is a little patchy but if you look into the vase, the coolest thing is that it looks like tiny stars in different constellations on the bottom. I was going to have it so that the top wasn't painted (hence why there's sellotape around it in the first few photos) but then decided against it. I also probably should have used masking tape but unfortunately for me, I couldn't find it! By the way, sellotape does NOT work in the same way! Although, I'm sure a lot of you already know that!



The vase I had was £1 from a charity shop on the high street and I'm fairly certain that most charity shops will have vases, and the same goes for most other shops (if you want to splash out on a more expensive one)! The paint I used was just regular wall paint (which probably didn't help with the air bubbles and patchy-ness!). I'm not sure if it helped at all, but I mixed PVA glue into it (it did make it slightly more fluid though), although you may want to leave that step out.




To actually paint it I just poured the paint into the vase and swirled it round until it was completely covered (it looked pretty cool when it was partially done)! Once it was covered, I left it upside down on a piece (or 4) of paper to let the excess run out. This is what other people tend to do with things like this, so I figured it would probably be a good idea!



It needs to be left for quite a while to dry out (overnight is probably best) and you want to make sure the inside is completely dry before putting it to use. I love the look of the paint behind the glass and it just goes to show how much you can do with bits and pieces that would usually be overlooked for more fashionable or 'cool' items.



I hope you have a lovely week, and maybe don't chuck a load of paint into your best vase straight away! It also works for jars, which you can then put tea-lights (or LED ones) into to create a cute little candle holder.

Love, Grace x

No comments:

Post a Comment