Sunday 28 February 2016

All The Bright Places

Hola,

Sorry the post is late up, I was writing an email of complaint to EE for giving me a bad voucher code. Anyway, today I finished reading 'All The  Bright Places' by Jennifer Niven, and it was brilliant! One of my friends recommended it to me (and has been waiting patiently for me to finish it), so thanks for introducing me to such a great book.

The first thing is that I love the overall look of the book. It is light and pastel, and covered in images of sticky notes, which is cool. I think I'm also automatically drawn to anything blue, I seem to have a lot of blue books and general items!


The story is devastatingly lovely and had all the feels flowing. As it started, I wasn't sure where it was going, but as the story progressed, it really developed and pulled me in. The alternating chapters between Violet and Finch's POV gives a lot of depth to the story and allows you to see how two separate characters see the world and situations around them.

When I finish a book, if it is a good one, with an interesting storyline, then I will spend a few days, maybe a week, contemplating what happened. It is true, when people say that a story will stay with you. There are only a select few that actually make this list for me, some have a great story whilst others just kind of fade, not that they aren't great works, they're just not my thing. In the words of Melissa Marr, "Life is too short to read books I'm not enjoying."

The advice I will give, without trying to give any spoilers, is that you will need tissues. The book deals with some very serious issues around mental illnesses. It also is written more for friends of those suffering from mental illness. There is also a section in the back filled with helplines for people to call if you know someone who is going though it, or are yourself. Niven was able to call on past experiences to aid in the writing of the book, which I think really adds a whole new layer and perspective to the story and the tragedy of it.

I hope you guys have a lovely rest of the weekend and a lovely week!

Love, Grace x

No comments:

Post a Comment