Thursday 31 July 2014

Chocolate Star Cupcakes

Hey there!

Welcome to another 'Cupcake Thursday'! I actually made these cakes at the same time as the ones in my post last week but I decided to play about with the recipe a little bit and change them.

The cupcakes I decided to make were Chocolate Stars (the name itself is pretty explanatory as to what is in them but here is the recipe anyhow). This post, like last week's won't have step-by-step instructions but it will have measurements.

You will need:

Spoons
A large bowl
Smaller bowls
Sieve
An electric whisk (optional)
Scales
Cupcake cases
Baking trays
Measuring spoons (optional)



The measurements I used for the ingredients were enough to make about 12 cupcakes and they were quite big so you could half the measurements for smaller cakes or just make more! I actually only made 4 chocolate cupcakes but the recipe was originally for 12 so I am going to stick with that.

Ingredients:



100g Butter
100g Self-raising flour
100g (Golden) Caster sugar
2 Medium-large eggs
Cocoa powder
Magic star sweets




Optional:
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder

If you don't have a recipe to follow then you can find a step-by-step guide here but just change in these ingredients instead of the previous ones.

When you get to the stage where you are about to place the cupcakes into the oven, press 2 magic stars (back to back) into each case. Make sure they are not directly on the bottom but not right at the top either. This will create a chocolate surprise in the center. When I first tried this, I did think that they would melt but sadly they didn't (so don't expect the center to be really gooey and melted!) ;)


For the icing:

These measurements are all approximations because when I make icing I just kind of guess the measurements and go by taste instead of exact amounts.



50g Butter
150g Icing sugar
Cocoa powder (add to taste)

*Quick Tip for Icing*
If you add milk or cream into the icing and them thicken it up again with more icing sugar it makes the icing lighter and taste even creamier. 


I (personally) think that the icing is the best part! (The reason may or may not be because you get to taste it!) ;)


  
As you can see, I also decorated them with chocolate magic stars (which I love, if you can't tell) and figured it would make the cakes look super cute! It was also this that gave them the name 'magic star cupcakes'!

(The cupcake in the back left looks a little disheveled, but it tasted fine, the icing came out strangely so I had to try and fix it using a fork!)


I hope you try these cupcakes and enjoy them as much as I did! 

If you have any ideas for mid-week posts, feel free to tweet me them or comment on here because I like to incorporate other people's ideas into my blog to change it up a little bit.


 Until next time
-G-


X

No comments:

Post a Comment