Saturday 16 August 2014

DIY (ish) Room Decorations

Hey there!

Sorry there hasn't been any mid-week posts recently! I thought that I would have more time during the summer holidays but turns out, I've been a lot busier than I first thought. I am also going to be busy for the next few weeks too so I am preparing a few posts for the next few Saturdays. 

Today's post is going to be a 'Room Decorations' one and some of the ideas are things that you can buy but others are just ideas I have come up with myself.

1. My 'beach in a jar'



I have some shelves in my room and I wanted to make them quite unique and my style. I used a small 'clippy jar' from Ikea (£0.80) which I also had in a previous post and put hair bows in it. Of course this is a different one but I wanted it to be a little different and I also wanted somewhere safe to put all of the tiny shells I've collected over the years from visiting different beaches. (that sounds slightly sad but oh well!) 


I put the tiny 'twisty' shells that I've found into the bottom of the jar (I wanted to add some sand but I didn't have any!) and I think it looks quite cool! You could make a similar jar using a regular jam jar or a mason jar and put anything you like in it really, you could put photos in it to create a small memory jar or glitter or something like that! It is all up to you and what your taste is.



2. My coloured LOVE sign



My Mum actually found this sign in 'Dunelms' (which is a shop in England where you can buy loads of home stuff) when we were shopping for things for my room (we recently re-painted my room). I thought it was super cute and just my style because I love colour and it is, I don't know, just me! However, I don't remember how much it was (definitely less than £10) and I don't know if it still in the shops.



On the backs of all of the letters are these little hooks which you can use to attach the sign to the wall or you can just stand it up like I do.

3. Fairy light pot



In my beauty storage post I also showed a small candle holder which I stored my make-up brushes and I also have a white swirly 'planter' from Ikea, £1.90, which I have some fairy lights in (also from Ikea £5 I think). I think it looks so cool when it's quite dark and looks quite magical when it is combined with the next item.


The holes in the sides of the planter let the perfect amount of light out and the pattern at the top is just so pretty!



4. LED tea lights



I like these LED tea lights because  they are much safer if you fall asleep with them on than real candles with actual fire are. They also flicker just like a flame which creates a really pretty lighting and makes them seem even more real. I got these ones from 'Hobbycraft' and were £4 each I think. It is a good idea to get good quality ones otherwise they will just break or the batteries may run out very quickly.

I think my shelves look really magical when I turn off all my lights and turn on the tea lights and fairy lights! :)

5. Giant tea cups



I really like these giant tea cups, my mum found them in the back of a cupboard and I thought they would look really cool. One of them had my cotton wool in it and the other has a tea light in it. 



They are both brightly painted and fit in with the style of my room perfectly. (These tea cups are actually quite hard to write about! It was quite surprising!)

6. Tiny Bucket



This tiny bucket was from 'Hobbycraft' again and I'm fairly sure it was around £1-1.50. I also don't think it was actually meant for the purpose I use it for, but oh well! I put one of the LED tea lights into it and the butterfly patterns on the side let the glow through in a very pretty way!


This post is more to show you that when adding decorations to a room they don't have to be expensive and elaborate, they can be homemade or pretty cheap. Even taking a look in charity shops you can find some cool things!

I hope you guys are having a great summer (or winter depending on where you are!) and have a good weekend.


Until next time
-G-
X



No comments:

Post a Comment