Saturday 27 September 2014

How to survive camping (with your family?!)

Hey guys!

Ok, just imagine, you're adventuring through a forest (or across a beach or plain) with your family, having the time of your life when suddenly the clouds decide they hate you and it starts bucketing it down and the only place you can go is inside a tent, which is also wet.

This was a very real reality for me earlier in the year when I went camping with my family in Norfolk. Lets just say, I don't think that camping is really my forte! Don't get me wrong, it was a great laugh... during the day... when it wasn't freezing cold or raining. However, I did 'learn' a few tips on how to 'survive' camping that I thought I would share with you!

*Disclaimer: I'm very sorry if you really love camping, this post may not appeal to you or have any significant use but I hope it does come in handy for the less experienced out there! (or just those who are going camping and would like some tips!)*

1. Duvets

This is probably one that all the seasoned campers would suggest (or maybe not) but my duvet kept me a whole lot warmer at night ( and boy does it get cold!) along with my sleeping bag! It may be out of your control as to whether or not there is enough space for you to take it but if you can fit one then it is a good plan!

2. Hair-ties

Now, if you are a girl with longer hair (like me) then it is probably a good idea to take plenty of hair-ties! They are practically your new best friends! It is unbelievably difficult to keep your hair looking semi-decent let alone fabulous! I gave up after the first day and I'm not sure if I actually let my hair down again after that! If it rains, put up your hair. If it's windy, put up your hair. If it looks sunny, put up your hair because it will probably be windy later!

3. Warm clothes

This one is probably more about common sense but it is a good idea to take several big jumpers even if you are going camping in the summer! (unless you're going somewhere other than the UK!) I didn't think that I would actually need a thick, winter jumper but I definitely did!

4. Location

This one may or may not be completely out of your control but I think it is also a good idea to choose a campsite with a good location (or facilities if you are like me). It is a good idea to find a place with different places you can visit or activities you can do!

If you are planning to go camping in Norfolk then I can recommend the 'Waveney River Center', it is quite hard to find but it has a very nice view, a shop, pool and bar/restaurant on site. (It also has toilets and showers!) As the river Waveney runs through the campsite it is a good stop for boats too and you can hire boats/kayaks and take a trip down the river!

5. Hair

This one was a very silly move on my part because, after I had a shower one morning, I left my hair wet. So, my advice is to always dry your hair! I actually got quite a bad cold after that because my head got very cold!

So, this is it for this week's post, next week there is going to be a little 'insight' into one of the places I went in Wales in the summer!


Until next time
-G-
X

No comments:

Post a Comment