Saturday 6 September 2014

Divergent - Book vs. Film

Hey there!

I know I am super late to jump on the band wagon with this! However, I am going to write this anyway! Recently I read 'Divergent' by Veronica Roth and I absolutely LOVED it (all those who read it ages ago are now shaking their heads at me through the computer screen) so, I just had to buy it as soon as it came out on DVD. I actually missed my opportunity to see it in the cinema because by the time I had actually decided to read it, it had been off screens for a while.



I felt that the film was, actually, brilliant which surprised me because, usually I feel that films (if they are based on a book) have 'big shoes to fill' and in some cases films cut out a huge proportion of important parts of the original book to fit it into a certain time or if they just aren't exciting enough. However, with divergent I thought that they actually described things well and even though some things weren't explained in the same way and  a few parts were left out, the overall film still made sense and was not too dissimilar to the book! Like how, at the beginning, the city is said to be Chicago but that isn't conveyed (at least I don't remember it being) in the first book. Some of the parts that they couldn't include in the actual movie are in the deleted scenes and I actually really like the deleted scenes (which is a bit of a strange thing) because they are some of the parts I like in the book!

The acting overall, I thought was very good! All of the actors portrayed their roles (I feel) very accurately and the only criticism I have is that it is very difficult to see the characters of Tris and Caleb (Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort) as brother and sister if you have watched 'The Fault in our Stars' previously. This is in no way a criticism to the actors themselves, I am simply stating that it is slightly strange sometimes! However, there is some criticism for the film itself from me and that is, that there are a few points in the film with some very 'out-of-place' music (or, I feel it is out-of-place) and I don't know if anyone else noticed but I just felt that it didn't really fit the vibe of that precise point in the film!

Overall, I actually prefer the book but I have always been a bit of a bookworm and I like it when the book goes into details in the main character's head! I just hope that Insurgent and Allegiant can live up to it!

I am actually thinking of changing my opening a little because I'm not really that fond of it and I'm not overly sure  it actually fits the vibe here! I know this post is a little plain and is just a film review but the one I was planning would have taken a lot longer so I shuffled around my plans slightly! It would be great to know if you guys like the films vs. books review posts or not and if there are any films or books you think I should see/read and review!


Until next time
-G-
X

No comments:

Post a Comment