Saturday 8 November 2014

Book Review: Looking for Alaska

Hey guys,

So, for this week's post I thought I would do a review as I haven't done one for a while and I absolutely love this book!

Looking for Alaska is the debut novel by John Green (author of 'The Fault in our Stars') that was published in 2005. I think it was a very well-written book that, although it is sometimes seen as a very controversial story, it was incredible.



The book starts by counting down to an mysterious and unexpected occurrence that left me shell-shocked and with tears running down my face! You don't realise what it could be counting down to until you reach it and the mystery of it makes what happens even more hard-hitting! However, no matter how many times I read Looking for Alaska or The Fault in our Stars (and usually end up crying), they leave me wanting more and are a real credit to John Green. He has managed to write books that refuse to finish when you turn the last page, they keep playing on a loop in your mind and stay with you! This, I feel, is an amazing achievement! 

The story-line is a little different to the usual 'boy meets girl' books that you usually see because it has a very different message to it. 'L
ove isn't always as simple as it seems'. Friendless Miles 'Pudge' Halter, tired of his predictable life, convinces his parents to send him to the boarding school that his dad attended (Culver Creek) where he meets the gorgeous yet baffling Alaska Young. They, along with Miles' roommate The Colonel and their friend, Takumi, hatch plans to prank the Weekday Warriors and bond in the process. Then, an unexpected tragedy strikes and the group are left trying to make sense of the situation and pull off one last, great prank.

I really do recommend this book to any John Green fans who haven't read it yet or for anyone who likes some adventure and tragedy thrown together into one amazing story!


'The only way out of a labyrinth of suffering is to forgive'


Until next time
Grace
X

No comments:

Post a Comment