Saturday 24 January 2015

Crayon Melt

Hey guys! 

The other day I found that I'd hit 1000 views on here! I just want to say a huge thank you so much for reading and following!

Today's post is a crayon melt! For a while I've really wanted to try and make one but I didn't have a glue gun but, for Christmas, I got one, which gave me the chance! 



You will need: crayons (obviously!), a canvas (wood, or something like that that you can glue the crayons to), a glue gun (or similar strong glue), a hairdryer and possibly a cut out to add on.





To start with you need to lay out all of the crayons in the colour order you want, to make sure you're happy with them and to check you have enough to cover the top of the surface you're using. I chose to arrange them in rainbow order and laid them out along the top before gluing them down (remember to leave the paper covers on though because otherwise they will just become lumps at the top and they are easier to glue on without the wax melting straight away from the hot glue!). 





If you are going to use a glue gun be careful as it can make the crayons quite hot when you are holding them down to stick them! Once you have stuck them all down you can progress onto either adding a quote, word or image along the bottom or just start blow-drying. I decided to have the crayon flow over it but you can add it after and have it behind or remove the crayon in front. There are so many beautiful ideas out there and you can do just about anything!





When you start blow-drying the crayons you will need to hold the dryer at an angle, pointed down the crayons so it doesn't splatter everywhere! It also helps the wax to run down the surface. You may also want to protect the surface you are doing it on as it can get a little messy and crayon splatters on the kitchen floor are probably not the most sought after look!




You can heat the crayons as long as you like to get the desired look you want! My crayons were the cheapest I could find which was kind of a mistake because some of them didn't melt while others went all out and completely collapsed! Some just let out this strange watery liquid which really wasn't very appealing at all! If I can give you one piece of advice for this craft I would definitely suggest getting better crayons to get a better look.




The last step is to leave it to dry completely before adding any embellishments or changes. And then you can hang it up or put it wherever you like! I really don't like the right side of mine as the orange just poured and it doesn't look very much like rain, as I had originally intended it to!

If you tried this crayon melt I hope it went better than mine did and I'm sure it looks amazing! Have a fab weekend!


Until next time
Grace
X

No comments:

Post a Comment