Saturday 8 August 2015

Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Hey guys,

Have you ever read a book that you think you should love but just don't? Matched is exactly like that for me. It just didn't excite my imagination and make me want to never put it down...




Don't get me wrong, Condie is a very talented writer and the language she uses flows brilliantly, but the story just didn't grip me like the other books I read do. The first few pages were good enough that it made me want to take the book away with me but that was pretty much where it stopped. *I'm really sorry if you love this book!* The plot itself, I was expecting to be riveting because when I read the back of the book when I brought it, I thought it actually looked quite good. However, I think the last line on the back of the book, 'And that's when her whole world starts to unravel...', gives the wrong idea. Her life doesn't completely fall apart, there's a few things that happen, but they're not explained enough for me to actually think that they are all that bad. 



I found I wasn't reading the book as quickly as I usually do and just didn't really care what happened. I hate having to say that though, because the writer has put so much time and effort into it and, in this case, Condie brought out a further 2 books in the trilogy, which I'm not at all sure whether I should read and see whether they're better than the first!  

I've read a few reviews of the book from other people and, although there are some really good reviews, there's also quite a few like mine. However, some of them said that the last 70 or so pages were great but I just don't really feel that! There's probably about 20 pages in the whole book that actually completely had my attention but as the whole thing is 366 pages long, that isn't really good enough for me. I'm kind of glad I didn't pay £6.99 for it, and instead found it in a charity shop for about £2! 

Even though I didn't particularly like this book, you might, so I'm in no way saying 'don't read it!' If the story line appeals to you, I'd suggest giving it a go! Sometimes it takes the slightly poor books to make you really appreciate the good ones!


Until next time 
Grace
X

No comments:

Post a Comment