Saturday 15 August 2015

Salt and Watercolour

Hey guys!

I hope you have all had a great week! I hope if any of you have just received your A-level results, that you got the grades you were hoping for! It's GCSE results day for me next week! I'm not overly excited or nervous yet, which I guess is good! For now! 

This post is another that may or may not work! I'm feeling a little bit skeptical looking at the papers in front of me, they're currently drying and should be ok by the time I've finished writing this. 





  
  


To try and create this art, you will need: water-colours, lots of water, salt, a paintbrush and probably some thicker paper because I'm not entirely sure if it works on regular paper or not! Thinking about it, I probably should have tried one on each type instead of doing both on water-colour paper! 



When you paint the water-colour onto the paper it needs to be very watery. You can make the colour as bold as you like but there has to be quite a lot of water for the salt to absorb. I painted out my patterns and sprinkled salt over it but I think I may have put too much on! I watched a video afterwards of someone else trying it and they only put a small sprinkle over it! At least I know what it should kind of look like from the video though!



You need to wait until the paint is completely dry to brush the salt off afterwards, otherwise it won't come off very easily at all and will clump together. Once you do brush it off, there should be a cool pattern caused by the salt but I'm not sure my photos will show anything like this! It looks pretty cool with the salt on top too though! 

When the paint was dry and I had brushed all the salt off I was slightly disappointed! There are some patches that look 'coral-y' like the other people who have done this' art but mostly it just looks slightly faded in areas. I quite like how the colours have mixed slightly but I was definitely expecting way more! However, the page is now very textured, there are bumps and lumps galore!






I hope you guys have a great week! If I have enough time I may do another post on Wednesday but I'm not overly sure what I'm doing yet this week so I can't guarantee anything. 


Until next time 
Grace








No comments:

Post a Comment