Monday 11 July 2016

A lantern of joy

Hiya,

Back at the beginning of May, it was one of my friends' birthdays. She was the friend that I made this for all the way back in 2014, and since I try to make different and more personal presents for each of my friends, I had to try and top it.

I ended up looking for ages and trying to think of something to get her, but I just couldn't think of anything, until I saw this little lantern and knew I wanted to use it.


In the end I decided to fill it with different sweets that she likes, which happened to be chocolate raisins and m&ms, which actually created quite a good contrast of colours. Before I put the sweets in I filled the bottom with all different colours of confetti made from hole-punched paper. I think I had the whole 'festival vibe' thing going on, because the confetti reminded me of festivals and summer.


To create the little parcels I found some little zip-lock bags and filled them so they were fairly full, but not entirely full so I could fold the end over and selotape it down to keep them as sealed as possible. To then make them look slightly more pretty and 'present-like' I tied small different coloured strands of ribbon around them and then stacked them all into the lantern.


Just to add an extra little touch, I made some tiny washi tape bunting to go round the top and make it extra cute.


My favourite thing about this present is that she can eat all of the sweets, and still have a lantern for tea-lights and other things. I also gave her a little anklet as an extra little gift with it and so she had something else to actually unwrap.

I thought this was a cute little summer present idea, and it probably would have looked slightly better with it totally full, but I just couldn't figure out how to make it still look great, whilst being very full and without the glass panels breaking.

I hope this inspires you to have a go at making something cute for a friend or family member's birthday, or just as a little gift for someone! I will see you all again next week! 

I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment