Sunday 1 June 2014

Recipe: Butterfly Cakes Pt 2

Hey there!

So, here is the second part of the butterfly cakes recipe. This post will have a step-by-step guide of how I made these cakes but you are welcome to adapt it in any way! All of the ingredients and equipment needed are in my previous post, which you can read here

Let's get started!

Step 1: 
First up you need to cream together the caster sugar and butter in the large mixing bowl. It needs to be smooth so it is easier to mix in the other ingredients. For this you can use an electric whisk to make it easier and quicker.


Step 2: 
It is a good idea to whisk the egg whites until they are light and fluffy to add more air into the cakes. First separate the egg whites and yolks into two different bowls so you can add the yolk separately later


Step 3:
Next you need to add the egg yolks to the butter and sugar mix and then add the flour (sieving if you want to) mixing as you go with a spoon or electric whisk. 


Step 4: 
The next step is to add in the egg whites and (if you are using it) baking powder. Again you need to whisk this up until it is smooth and everything is mixed in.


Step 5: 
This next step is optional, if you are leaving the cakes plain then you can proceed to step 6 but if you are adding any extras this is the step for you! Here I separated the mixture into two bowls, into one I added a few drops of vanilla essence and into the other the cocoa powder paste I mentioned in the ingredients list.

vanilla       

 chocolate


Step 6:
At this stage you need to spoon the mix into the cake cases. To get a perfect top, I have found the best way is to flatten down the mixture with a spoon so it is all equal and can rise at the same pace.


Step 7:
Now you need to place these in the oven set at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are light golden brown. Be sure to check the cakes frequently so as not to let them burn (which I have done on numerous occasions! *oops*). 


Step 8:
Once the cakes are done you can take them out of the oven (remembering to turn it off if you are no longer using it) and transfer them to a cooling rack.

Step 9: 
whilst the cakes are cooling is a good time to make the icing. You will need to mix together (you can use an electric whisk but bear in mind the icing sugar will cloud up and go everywhere!) the butter and icing sugar in a small mixing bowl.

You can split the mixture into separate bowls if you like, to make different flavoured icing. I made chocolate and vanilla.


Step 10:
This step can be changed to however you what to decorate your cakes but as mine are 'Butterfly' cakes then this is my chosen method. However, you can decide whether to just smooth the icing over the tops of the cakes or actually pipe it on if you wish. You could also use any icing you want to, leave them plain or even dip them in melted chocolate!

First I used a sharp knife to hollow out a medium sized hole on the top of each cake which I proceeded to fill with the butter icing I made whilst the cakes were cooling.


Next I cut the section I had hollowed out in half to create little 'wings' for my cakes. I then placed these back onto the tops of each corresponding cake with the crunchier bit (I'm not sure how else to describe it) on the top to give it a more attractive look.


In total I made 16 cakes which looked super yummy! I put an extra stripe of icing down the center of the 'wings' just to tie it all together and add an extra special touch! :)


The finished result! *yum* 

Don't worry though, I tasted the cakes and they were great! Even if i do say so myself! ;)


I hope you enjoyed this recipe and it gave you some ideas for any occasions coming up!

Until next time!
-G-
X

P.S. - Don't be afraid to comment, I would love to here what you think about my blog and any suggestions you may have for future posts. Plus, I don't bite! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment